TNPSC Group 2 Exam is conducted by Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission to recruit Civil Servants for various government departments in Tamil Nadu. Through the Combined Civil Services Examination-II, candidates are recruited for different posts under Group 2 and 2A categories.
TNPSC Group 2 2023 Exam Overview
|Name of the Examination||TNPSC Group 2 Exam|
|Conducting Body||Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission|
|Exam Level||Within Tamil Nadu State|
|Exam Mode||Pen and Paper Test|
|Language of the Exam||English, Tamil|
TNPSC GROUP 2 Exam 2023 Important Dates
|TNPSC Group 2 2023 Application Form Release||TBA|
|Last date of TNPSC Group 2 2023 Application Form Submission||TBA|
|TNPSC Group 2 2023 Admit Card Release Date||TBA|
|TNPSC Group 2 2023 (Prelims) Exam Date||TBA|
|TNPSC Group 2 Prelims Result Date||TBA|
|TNPSC Group 2 2023 (Mains) Exam Date||TBA|
|TNPSC Group 2 2023 (Mains) Result Date||TBA|
TNPSC Group 2 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The Eligibility criteria for TNPSC Group 2 2023 will vary according to the posts the candidates applying for. However, the candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree in the specified fields or subjects for the particular posts they are willing to apply in order to be eligible to apply for the particular post. Candidates should possess good knowledge of the Tamil language.
The candidates must be citizens of India.
Education Qualification requirement
|Name of Posts||Education Qualification|
|Industrial Co-operative Officer||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Probation Officer||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Revenue Assistant||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Audit Inspector||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Junior Employment Officer||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Probation Officer in the Prison Department||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Assistant Inspector of Labour||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Assistant Inspector in Local Fund Audit Department||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Assistant Section Officer, Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly Secretariat||B.A., or B.Sc., or B.Com.,|
|Sub Registrar, Grade-II||Bachelor Degree in any recognized University|
|Special Assistant||Pass the Govt. Technical Education in Typewriting both by Higher/Senior Grade in Tamil or English|
|Municipal Commissioner||A Degree of Any University from any recognized university|
|Assistant Section Officer||B.L Degree|
|Assistant Section Officer in the Finance Department in Secretariat||Master’s Degree in Commerce or Economics or Statistics or A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Economics or Statistics with a pass in the final examination of the ICWAI|
|Assistant Section Officer in Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission||A Master’s Degree, A Bachelor’s Degree, and BGL Degree or Bachelor’s Degree with first 11 class in any one of the parts.|
|Assistant Section Officer Cum Programmer||Master degree in Computer Application/ Computer Science|
|Handloom Inspector||Diploma in Handloom Technology or Manmade Fibre Technology or Textile Technology or Textile processing awarded by the State Board of Technical Education and Training in Tamil Nadu.|
|Senior Inspectors||Any Degree or Diploma in Rural Services awarded by the National Council of Rural Higher Education. or A Diploma of Associate Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants|
|Supervisor / Junior Superintendent||Any Degree|
|Audit Assistant||Any Degree|
|Executive Officer, Grade-II||Any Degree|
Age Limit for Applying TNPSC Exam
The age criterion for applying TNPSC Exam will differ depending on the post the candidates applying for. The candidates must ensure they meet up the age criterion before applying for the TNPSC.
The age criterion for TNPSC Exam is tabulated below
|Name of the Post||Age Limit for applying TNPSC Exam|
|Sub-Registrar Grade- II||20 – 30 years|
|Probation Officer in the Prison Department||22 – 30 years|
|Probation Officer in the Social Defence Department||26 – 40 years|
|For all other posts||18 – 30 years|
TNPSC Group 2 Exam Fee
The Application fees for TNPSC Group 2 exam 2023shall be remitted online during the application process. There are multiple payment options such as Debit/Credit card, Internet Banking, and UPI, available to pay the application fees. Refer Below for TNPSC Group 2 Registration and Examination fees.
|General Registration||150 INR|
|Preliminary Examination||100 INR|
|Mains Examination||150 INR|
TNPSC Group 2 Examination Registration fee is exempted for SC/ST/OBC, Ex-Servicemen, Widows
Once candidates paid TNPSC Group 2 Exam registration fee, it is valid for up to 5 years. The candidates don’t have to pay the examination fee for the next two attempts within the period of 5 years.
TNPSC Group 2 2023 Admit Card
TNPSC will release the TNPSC Group 2 2023 Admit Card on the official website. Candidates can download their Admit Card on the official website, the link will be provided here. The Admit Card will be released separately for TNPSC Group 2 2023 Prelims, TNPSC Group 2 2023 mains, and TNPSC Group 2 2023 interview.
TNPSC Group 2 2023 Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||1||2|
|No of Sections||3 Sections – General Studies, Aptitude and Mental Ability||Paper 1 – 2 sections (Translation from Tamil to English and English to Tamil)|
Paper 2 – 5 sections (Precise writing, Comprehension, Hints Development, Essay Writing, and Letter writing.
|Questions Type||Multiple-choice questions||Descriptive Type|
|Total marks||300 marks||Paper 1 – 100 marks|
Paper 2 – 300 marks
|Qualifying Marks||90 marks||Paper 1 – 25 marks|
Paper 2 – 90 marks
|Exam Duration||180 minutes||Paper 1 – 90 Minutes|
Paper 2 – 180 Minutes
TNPSC Group 2 Syllabus
The TNPSC Group 2 2023 syllabus for prelims and mains are given below. Please go through the syllabus and make your study plan for the exam accordingly
TNPSC Group 2 Prelims Syllabus
The TNPSC Group 2 2023 syllabus for prelims has topics from General Science, General Knowledge, Polity, History, and Geography. It would also judge the candidate’s mental ability. Check out the Detailed Syllabus below
- Scientific Knowledge and Scientific temper
- Power of Reasoning – Rote Learning Vs Conceptual Learning
- Science as a tool to understand the past, present and future,
- Nature of Universe
- General Scientific Laws
- Mechanics – Properties of Matter,
- Force, Motion and Energy
- The everyday application of the basic principles of Mechanics,
- Electricity and Magnetism, Light, Sound, Heat, Nuclear Physics, Laser, Electronics and Communications.
- Elements and Compounds, Acids, Bases, Salts, Petroleum Products, Fertilizers, Pesticides;
- Main concepts of Life Science, Classification of Living Organisms, Evolution, Genetics, Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene, Human diseases;
- Environment and Ecology.
- Latest diary of events
- National symbols
- Profile of States
- Eminent personalities and places in the news – Sports, Books and authors;
- Polity – Political parties and political system in India
- Public awareness and General administration
- Welfare oriented Government schemes and their utility,
- Problems in Public Delivery Systems;
- Geography – Geographical landmarks;
- Economics – Current socio-economic issues;
- Science – Latest inventions in Science and Technology.
Geography of India
- Location – Physical features – Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate – Water resources – Rivers in India – Soil, minerals and natural resources – Forest and wildlife – Agricultural pattern; Transport – Communication; Social geography – Population density and distribution – Racial, linguistic groups and major tribes; Natural calamity – Disaster Management – Environmental pollution: Reasons and preventive measures – Climate change – Green energy.
- Culture and history of India – Indus valley civilization – Guptas, Delhi Sultans, Mughals and Marathas – Age of Vijayanagaram and Bahmani Kingdoms – South Indian history, Change and Continuity in the Socio-Cultural History of India; Characteristics of Indian culture, Unity in diversity – Race, language, custom; India as a Secular State, Social Harmony
- Indian Polity – Constitution of India – Preamble to the Constitution – Salient features of the Constitution – Union, State and Union Territory; Citizenship, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of State Policy; Union Executive, Union legislature – State Executive, State Legislature – Local governments, Panchayat Raj; Spirit of Federalism: Centre-State Relationships; Election – Judiciary in India – Rule of law; Corruption in public life – Anti-corruption measures – Lokpal and Lokayukta – Right to Information – Empowerment of women – Consumer protection forums, Human rights charter.
- Indian Economy – Nature of Indian economy – Five-year plan models – an assessment – Planning Commission and Niti Ayog; Sources of revenue – Reserve Bank of India – Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy – Finance Commission – Resource sharing between Union and State Governments – Goods and Services Tax; Structure of Indian Economy and Employment Generation, Land reforms and Agriculture – Application of Science and Technology in agriculture – Industrial growth – Rural welfare oriented programmes – Social problems – Population, education, health, employment, poverty.
- Indian national Movement – National renaissance – Early uprising against British rule – Indian National Congress – Emergence of leaders – B.R.Ambedkar, Bhagat Singh, Bharathiar, V.O.Chidambaranar, Jawaharlal Nehru, Kamarajar, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Thanthai Periyar, Rajaji, Subash Chandra Bose and others. Different modes of Agitation: Growth of Satyagraha and Militant movements; Communalism and partition.
- History, Culture, Heritage, Socio-Political movements of Tamil Nadu – History of Tamil Society, related Archaeological discoveries, Tamil Literature from Sangam age till contemporary times; Thirukkural: Significance as Secular literature, to Everyday Life, Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity, Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality, Humanism, etc. Relevance to Socio – Politico-Economic affairs, Philosophical content in Thirukkural Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle – Early agitations against British Rule – Role of women in the freedom struggle, Evolution of 19th and 20th Century Socio-Political movements in Tamil Nadu – Justice Party, Growth of Rationalism – Self Respect Movement, Dravidian movement and Principles underlying both these movements, Contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar Anna.
- Development administration in Tamil Nadu – Human Development Indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – Impact of Social Reform movements in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu, Political parties and Welfare schemes for various sections of people – Rationale behind Reservation Policy and access to Social Resources – Economic trends in Tamil Nadu – Role and impact of social welfare schemes in the Socio-economic development of Tamil Nadu, Social Justice and Social Harmony as the Cornerstones of Socio-Economic Development, Education and Health systems in Tamil Nadu, Geography of Tamil Nadu and its impact on Economic growth, Achievements of Tamil Nadu in various fields, e-governance in Tamil Nadu.
Aptitude & Mental Ability
- Highest Common Factor (HCF) – Lowest Common Multiple (L.C. M)
- Ratio and Proportion
- Simple interest – Compound interest – Area – Volume – Time and Work
- Logical Reasoning – Puzzles-Dice – Visual Reasoning – Alphanumeric Reasoning – Number Series
TNPSC Group 2 Mains Syllabus
Title 1 -Tamil to English translation
Title 2 – English to Tamil Translation
Title 1 – Precis writing
Title 2 – Comprehension
Title 3 – Hints Development
Title 4 – Essay writing on the following topics from ‘Thirukkural.’
- (a) Significance as a Secular literature
- (b) Relevance to Everyday Life
- (c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity
- (d) Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality, Humanism, etc.
- (e) Relevance to Socio – Politico-Economic affairs
- (f) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
Title 5 – Letter writing – Official
The following syllabus applies for Paper I: Title 1 and Title 2; Paper II: Title 1 and Title 3 from the Papers as mentioned above and titles –
- Origin and Development of Tamil Civilization – From classical antiquity to modernity.
- Sangam Period Literature along with the historical events related to Language Development
- Musical Tradition of Tamil Nadu – Folklore – music, dance, Musical, and folk drama – From classical age to post-modern age with its modifications.
- Dramatic Art Form – Street Theatre – Folk Theatre – Conventional Theatrical techniques.
- Socio-Economic History – Overseas trade – evidence from classical literature like “Pattinapalai”. Rationalist Movements – Dravidian Movement and Self Respect Movement.
- Contribution of Social Reform Movements in the implementation of Social Welfare Measures and Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu – Reservation Policy and its Benefits – Contribution of Social Justice and Social Harmony in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu.
- Feminism – Socio – feminism, Literary feminism – Different Concepts and Perceptions.
- Contemporary Tamil Language – Computer Tamil Diction – Legal Tamil – Tamil as Administrative Language – New genres.
TNPSC Group 2 Selection Process
- Prelims Examination
- Mains Examination
- Document Verification