President Draupadi Murmu has appointed Justice DY Chandrachud as the new Chief Justice of India. He will take charge as the new CJI on November 9, 2022. The 62 years old Dhananjaya Yeshwant Chandrachaud is currently serving as a judge in the supreme court and also an executive chairman of the National Legal Service Authority.
Justice DY Chandrachud Education
- BA, LLB – University of Delhi
- LLM, SJD – Harvard University
- Judge of Bombay High court – 29 March 2000 – 30 October 2013
- 45th Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court – 31 October 2013 – 12 May 2016
- Judge of Supreme Court – Since 13 May 2016
Notable Judgements as Judge of a Supreme Court
- Right to Privacy is a constitutionally guaranteed right. He observed Dignity can not exist without Privacy
- Decriminilaization of Homesexuality in India
- Right to free speech – Fee Speech cannot be gagged for the fear of a mob.
Facts about Justice DY Chandrachud
- Born – 11-11-1959 in Bombay
- His Father Justice Y.V Chandrachud is the longest-served Chief Justice of India.