Important Current Affairs for UPSC: 16 November 2022
1) President Droupadi Murmu launched e-KUMBH (Knowledge Unleashed in Multiple Bharatiya Languages) portal in which engineering courses and books would be available in 12 scheduled Indian languages.
2) International Day for Tolerance is observed every year on November 16 to emphasise tolerance among diverse cultures and spread the message that tolerance is an integral part of society.
3) The Dao Division of Spear Corps at the Indian Army organised the Walong Mela to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the Battle of Walong.
4) Singhraj and Manish Narwal along with Deepender Singh bagged a silver medal in the P4- Mixed 50m Pistol SH1 event at the Shooting Para-sports World Championship 2022.
5) Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off India’s fifth and South’s first Vande Bharat train from Bengaluru.
6) M C Mary Kom, PV Sindhu, Mirabai Chanu, Shiva Keshavan and 10 other eminent sportspersons elected unopposed as members of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Athletes Commission.
7) The 7th edition of the Amur Falcon Festival was celebrated in Manipur’s Tamenglong district.
The festival has been organised since 2015 to spread awareness about protection and conservation of world’s longest flying migratory bird Amur falcon.
8) Double Olympic medallist PV Sindhu launched mascots Toofan and Toofani for Fit India Movement’s Fit India School Week initiative for the year 2022.
9) Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated the Indian Biological Data Centre at Faridabad in Haryana whose dashboard will provide an archive for all the data generated from the public funded researches in India.
10) Table tennis legend Achanta Sharath Kamal has been nominated for the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, the country’s highest sporting honour.
A total of 25 athletes including shuttlers Lakshya Sen, HS Prannoy, woman boxer Nikhat Zareen, athletes Eldhose Paul, Avinash Sable have been nominated for the Arjuna Award this year.
11) BCCI secretary Jay Shah has been elected as the head of ICC’s all-powerful Finance and Commercial Affairs (F&CA) committee at the board meeting.
12) National Press Day is observed every year on November 16 to acknowledge and honour the independent and responsible media of the country, which is the fourth pillar of Indian democracy.
India’s rank is 150 out of 180 countries in World Press Freedom Index 2022.