Read the most important current affairs of 17 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Indonesia Independence day
Top 10 Current Affairs of August 17 2023
World Current Affairs
1. Indonesia Celebrates its 78th Independence Day
- Indonesia Celebrates its 78th Independence Day today 17 August 2023.
- Indonesia officially declared independence from Dutch rule on August 17, 1945.
- Just Before the Second World War, Indonesia was briefly ruled by Japan briefly between 1942 and 1945. However, shortly after the war ended, Indonesian leaders Sukarno and Mohammad Hatta declared independence on August 17.
- Though the Preparatory Committee for Indonesian Independence (PPKI) elected Sukarno and Hatta as President and Vice-President, It was only 4 years later after United Nations’ intervention, the Netherlands recognised Indonesia as a separate nation in 1949.
India Current Affairs
2. PMe-Bus Sewa Scheme to 10000 electric buses in 100 cities
The Union Cabinet on 16 August 2023, approved the ‘PMe-Bus Sewa’ schema to provide financial support to buy 10000 electric buses in 100 cities having 3 to 40 lakh population. This scheme brought for augmenting the city bus service and green urban mobility service.
The Centre will provide 20000 crore financial assistance out of the total investment of 57613 crore.
Union Minister Anurag Thagur has announced that this initiative will run in Public Private Partnership mode and through that the support for bus operations will be given for 10 years.
Cities with unorganized bus services will be given more preference to this scheme.
Big Cities having more than 40 lakh population will not be covered in this scheme.
3. President Droupadi Murmu Launches 6th out of 7 INS Vindhagiri
President Droupadi Murmu today launches Advanced Stealth Frigate INS Vindhyagir from the Defence PSU Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd’s (GRSE) Facility on the banks of River Hooghly in Kolkata.
This is the 6th out of 7 ships being built under Project 17 Alpha of Indian Army.
Project 17 Alpha are series of stealth guided Frigates (warship) being built by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders (MDL) and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), for the Indian Navy.
They are designed to have better stealth features and land-attack capabilities.
Manchester City won maiden UEFA Super Cup title
- Manchester City secured their maiden UEFA Super Cup beating Sevilla in the penalty shootout
- Manchester City emerged the winner against Sevilla in the 5-4 goal set.