Read the most important current affairs of 25 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Wagner, BRICS, Chandrayaan 3 and more
Top 10 Current Affairs of 25 August 2023
World Current Affairs
1. First time in History, a Former US President arrested in the US
- Former US President Donald Trump made history when he surrendered before Georgia Jail on Charges of racketeering and conspiracy to overturn the 2020 US Presidential election.
- He was arrested in Georgia jail on August 14 and released on bail
- Trump faced official arrest on 13 charges within the jurisdiction of southern Georgia.
- This is the first time in history that a former US President was ever arrested
India Current Affairs
2. Justice Prakash Shrivastava Appointed as Chairperson of the Nation Green Tribunal
- Former Chief Justice Of Calcutta High Court, Justice Prakash Shrivastava is appointed as the Chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
- He was appointed by the Union government’s Cabinet Appointments Committee on August 14, tribunal sources said.
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) is a specialized body set up by the Government of India under the National Green Tribunal Act, 2010 to provide speedy and effective justice to cases related to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources. It is a quasi-judicial body with powers to hear and decide cases relating to environmental pollution, environmental degradation, and other matters affecting the environment.
The NGT has its headquarters in New Delhi and has five zonal benches located at Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata, Chennai, and Guwahati. The Tribunal is headed by a Chairperson who is a retired judge of the Supreme Court or the High Court. The other members of the Tribunal are also qualified legal professionals.
The NGT has the power to:
- hear and decide cases relating to environmental pollution, environmental degradation, and other matters affecting the environment;
- issue directions, orders, or decrees for the protection of the environment;
- award compensation for damages caused to the environment;
- take suo motu action on matters relating to environmental protection; and
- perform such other functions as may be prescribed.
3. Tele Law Service Launched in India
Committed to fulfill the Constitutional mandate of Article 39 A to ensure Access to Justice, Department of Justice (DoJ) is celebrating its Tele-Law 2.0today on 25th August, 2023 at Siri Fort Auditorium, New Delhi. The event would be graced by Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice ,Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal. The event is seminal as it commemorates the reaching of 50 Lakh milestone, which earmarks rendering of pre-litigation advice to the common citizens through the use of technology.
It also integrates this legal advice service under Tele-Law with legal representation services under Nyaya Bandhu (Pro Bono) programme. This would enable the common citizen to access legal advice, legal assistance and legal representation through a single registration and single gateway of Tele-Law. The Event will also witness the felicitation of the frontline functionaries who are the grassroot soldiers and ensures delivery of legal services at its doorstep. Some of the showcase/releases to be made during the event includes: –