Read the most important current affairs of 22 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Thailand’s New Prime Minister, Chandrayaan 3 and more
Top Current Affairs 22 August 2023
World Current Affairs
1. Former Thailand PM Thaksin Shinawatra jailed
- Former Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra jailed after his return to the country after 15 years of exile.
- He served as the 23rd Prime minister of Thailand between 2001 to 2006
- Thaksin was convicted of criminal corruption charges by the supreme court of Thailand.
2. Japan release treated radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean
- After receiving approval from the UN, Japan is set to release the treated Radioactive water from the Fukushima Nuclear Plant into the Pacific Ocean on Thursday.
- In 2011, an Earthquake of 9.1 magnitude triggered Tsunami and flooded the three nuclear reactors of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.
3. Srettha Thavisin Elected as the New Prime Minister of Thailand
- Sreetha Thaivasinm is elected as the New Prime Minister of Thailand. He has become the first leader to take charge since the 2014 military coup led by Army Chief Prayut Chan-o-cha.
- Prayut Chan-o-cha is currently serving as a caretaker Prime minister of Thailand since he seized power by the military coup on 24 August 2014
4. World Plant Milk Day is celebrated today.
World Plant Milk Day is Celebrated on 22 August every year. World Plant Milk Day was created in 2017 by the co-founder of Plant Based News, Robbie Lockie. The day is established to create awareness about Animal cruelty and also to spread that Plant milk also contains a great number of nutrients, is lactose-free and a great substitute for cow milk.
India Current Affairs
4. Union Minister Jitender Singh unveiled a new Lotus variety
- Union Minister for Science and Technology Jitendra Singh introduced a new type of lotus flower named “Namoh 108” in Lucknow on Saturday.
- This lotus has 108 petals and was developed by the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)-National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI), a plant-based research center in Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow.
5. PM Modi travels to South Africa to attend 15th BRICS
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi will be leaving today for South Africa to attend the 15th BRICS summit
- The 15th BRICS Summit is hosted by South Africa in Johannesburg between August 22-24.