Read the most important current affairs of 21 August 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Tropical Storm Hilary, Praggnanandhaa, Chandrayaan 3 and more
Top Current Affairs of 21 August 2023
World Current Affairs
1. Tropical Storm Hilary hits California with extreme rains.
The National Hurricane Center of America forecasted that Hurricane Hilary could bring up to 25 cm of rain across southern California and southern Nevada in one day. This amount of rain in a single day is typically the amount of rainfall these desert and mountain regions will get in a year.
2. International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
- The International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism is observed on August 21 every year in order to honour and support the victims and survivors of terrorism and to promote and protect the full enjoyment of their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- The United Nations Assembly established this day by passing a resolution 72/165 in 2017.
India Current Affairs
3. 15th BRICS Summit to be held in Johannesburg between August 22-24 2023
- South Africa will host the 15th BRICS summit in Johannesburg, which will be attended by the heads of state or heads of government of the five member states: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa also invited the leaders of 67 countries to the summit, including 53 other African Countries, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Indonesia and Iran.
4. India’s Praggnanandhaa defeats Fabiano Caruana in the Worldcup chess Semifinals 2023.
- India’s Chess wizard Praggnanandhaa created history by defeating the World No 3 Fabiano Caruana in the FIDO Worldcup chess semifinals 2023 held today in Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Praggnanandhaa is all set to face World No 1 Magnus Carlsen in the finals.