Read the most important current affairs of 1 September 2023. Today Current Affairs covers the headlines on Former Thailand PM, Air India-Vistara Merger and more
Top Current Affairs of 1 September 2023
World Current Affairs
1. Algerian Coast guards shot dead 2 Moroccan tourists.
- Algerian Coast guards shot dead 2 tourists who reportedly strayed into Algerian waters on their jet skis.
- The two countries have border disputes that date back to the era of French colonisation – and even fought a war in 1963.
- Relations have never recovered. Algeria backs the Polisario Front, which is fighting for Western Sahara’s independence from Morocco.
- The long border through the Sahara Desert remains tightly closed – there is no direct legal trade between the two neighbours.
2. Thai King Commutes Thaksin Jail term to 1 Year
- Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn commuted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s jail term to one year.
- Thaksin returned to the country after 15 years of self-imposed exile.
- Thaksin is currently in Bangkok Hospital due to Chest Pain and High Blood Pressure.
- Loyalty to monarchy, age, health cited in royal pardon plea
- The former leader fled Thailand in 2008 to avoid corruption charges after he was ousted in a 2006 military coup. He was found guilty in four graft cases in absentia with three of the convictions still outstanding during his return.
3. World Letter Writing Day is Celebrated today
- World Letter Writing Day is celebrated every year on September 1.
- The World Letter Writing Day was founded by Australian author and writer Richard Simpkin in 2014.
India Current Affairs
4. CCI Approves Air India-Vistara Merger
- The Competition Commission of India approved Air India-Vistara Merger on Friday
- Vistara was 49% owned by Singapore Airlines and 51% by Tata Group.
- Post the Merger of Vistara Airlines with Tata’s Air India, Singapore Airlines will hold a 25.1% stake in Air India while Tata Group will own the rest.
5. Shri V. L. Kantha Rao was appointed as Secretary of Ministry of Mines
- Shri V. L. Kantha Rao took charge as Secretary of Mines from Shri Vivek Bharadwaj IAS (1989 Batch).
- V.L Kantha Rao is a 1992 Batch IAS officer
- Mr. Rao is a Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering and have a Master’s in Business Administration from the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta.